Breakfast for Learning is committed to helping provide warm, community-centred child nutrition programs and work within a set of guiding principles to ensure healthy meals and snacks are available to all children.
Breakfast for Learning’s Guiding Principles for Child Nutrition Programs
- Nutritious and safe food regardless of family income;
- Non-stigmatizing and universally accessible programs;
- Programs that do not replace welfare reform;
- Community-based programs reflecting the individuality of the community and its unique needs;
- Cultural appropriateness, sensitive to and respectful of individual and community diversity;
- Parental and family involvement, recognizing that child nutrition is a family responsibility;
- A nurturing environment in which children and volunteers can interact;
- An educational component to learning about healthy eating habits for lifelong healthy development; and
- Self-sustaining programs with community and family ownership to maximize financial stability.